Lab Assistant I (Oakdale) - Full Time
Location: Oakdale, CA
What an awesome opportunity to work with a truly fantastic team!
Performs various duties associated with the clinical laboratory functions, which are of a technical and clerical nature. These tasks encompass but are not limited to such acts as operation of automated laboratory equipment, collection and processing of specimens, telephone communication, filing, use of hospital/laboratory systems. Demonstrates a willingness and ability to perform all assigned tasks.
The following are general job accountabilities
1. Demonstrates the skill to appropriately utilized multiple computer systems and L.I.S.
2. Demonstrates good communication skills to ensure continuity of care as it pertains to clinical laboratory testing, including relaying information to supervisor, relaying information between shifts, relaying information to the departmental technologist.
3. Judiciously uses supplies and suggests cost saving measures. Ensures appropriate use of inventory and its management.
4. Is courteous and professional to co-workers, patients, and visitors.
The following are unit-specific accountabilities
1. Performs specimen collection and/or processing of biological samples according to Lab policy and procedure.
· Follows patient/specimen identification protocol
· Accurate receipt and recording of specimen
· Accurate processing of specimen
· Peripheral venipuncture
· Pediatric heelsticks
· Capillary blood draw
· Blood cultures
· STAT, urgent timed requests
· Effectively evaluate all pre-analytical factors
2. Problem solves: identifies problem, investigates problem, resolves problem
3. Assists in training new staff members as needed.
4. Delivers reports and supplies to doctor offices and clinics.
5. Performs basic lab assistant duties.
6. Performs accurate patient registration and order entry.
AA degree desired with science background or a graduate from Medical Assistant School or certification as a lab assistant preferred.
High school graduate or equivalent required.
One (1) year training in a clinical laboratory preferred
Basic computer skills preferred
Accuracy in working with numbers
Must demonstrate the ability to handle people in diverse situations
Able to perform basic mathematical calculations
Phlebotomy certification (CPT1) required
Current AHA BLS
Lifts, positions, pushes up to 50 pounds
Considerable sitting, reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching
Touch, auditory and visual perception and acuity
Adequate vocal pitch and volume of voice
Manual dexterity and mobility
Ability to move quickly
Ability to adjust vision sufficiently to perform duties
Subject to varying and unpredictable situations
Subject to irregular hours
Increased stress due to multiple calls and inquiries